Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Classical Conventions....

Classical Conventions of a Horror my film

After one media class discussing conventions of the genre of film, I went home and starting researching the classic conventions of a Horror film – the genre I had chosen- so I could make sure that my film also adhered to some of the characteristics of this particular genre. In doing so, this would also help give me an idea of the type of certification I would have to give my film.

I first stumbled onto this site and thought that some of their information was useful, for me to understand what the audience expects to see in such a film: http://www.filmsite.org/horrorfilms.html

“Horror Films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, often in a terrifying, shocking finale, while captivating and entertaining us at the same time in a cathartic experience. Horror films effectively center on the dark side of life, the forbidden, and strange and alarming events. They deal with our most primal nature and its fears: our nightmares, our vulnerability, our alienation, our revulsions, our terror of the unknown, our fear of death and dismemberment, loss of identity, or fear of sexuality.

Whatever dark, primitive, and revolting traits that simultaneously attract and repel us are featured in the horror genre. Horror films are often combined with science fiction when the menace or monster is related to a corruption of technology, or when Earth is threatened by aliens. The fantasy and supernatural film genres are not synonymous with the horror genre, although thriller films may have some relation when they focus on the revolting and horrible acts of the killer/madman. Horror films are also known as chillers, scary movies, spookfests, and the macabre.”


From this, I can recognize that my film will conform to the ‘design… to cause dread… and invoke our hidden worst fears’. I created this idea mainly because this is the type of film I enjoy to watch, however I am aware that when making my film, I have to ensure that it meets the needs of the audience who will be viewing it. To identify the thrills people my age also enjoy, I will create a short and brief questionnaire once I have gathered adequate information about the classical conventions of the genres.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home